The New Milford River Trail Association (NMRTA) is a non-profit organization that supports a vibrant, healthy region by promoting the creation of multi-use trails, bike lanes, walkways, and other measures that make it safer and easier to walk or bicycle for recreation and transportation.
HOW WE PLAN TO ACHIEVE OUR MISSION
- Complete a multi-use trail along the Housatonic River in New Milford.
- Draw residents and visitors wishing to bike and walk along the river into our central business district.
- Raise awareness of the recreational value of one of our greatest assets, the Housatonic River, by expanding access for walkers and bicyclists.
- Work closely with the Western New England Greenway on the establishment of a bike route that will connect Canada with New York City.
- Assist agencies administering the trail with volunteer maintenance and installation of trail amenities such as benches and signage.
- Promote public and private investment in infrastructure that improves opportunities for walking and biking.
- Remind residents of the health benefits of walking and biking.
- Educate bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorists on how to safely share the road.